Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Keeping Expectations Low...

I like Shania Twain based on what I learned from the book pictured here. It isn't about Shania, but it is a sweet story about a girl trying to make it in Nashville and each chapter begins with a mini-biography of a country musician who came from nowhere and made it big.

I like Shania because she was raised dirt poor and when she was 22, had moved away and was finally making some noise in Nashville, her parents died. She put her dreams on hold and spent the next 4 years back in Canada where she took in her younger siblings and raised them herself.

So I am pretty sure as a person she is awesome. However, I don't know any of her songs! I have heard MAN I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN and there is another woman-y one that I can't remember the name of. But I am pretty sure I am not going to know any of these tunes.

Lee starts off with STILL THE ONE which is not the one where "We're still havin' fun and you're still the one" that I remember from my youth. He does that Lee thing where he looks a little pained and sings with his scratchy old voice. He sounded fine.

(Hey, did you know Alison Irahita is on the cover of LATINA magazine this month? She looks cute as a bug.)

Big Mike sings IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I'M BREATHING which is one of those "clever" songs where it says crazy crap that kind of means the opposite. It is so odd that the arms of the inferi don't even know what to do. And his last note sounds like it is in a different key. But that could just be the song. Apparently hid did well, but I couldn't tell.

Casey sings DON'T which I have never heard before in my life. I cracked up when he said "I am only playing rhythm guitar." He sounds good, not great. But the crowd goes wild. The judges liked the country vibe. And they really liked the connection he had with the song. And then Simon tried to pimp him out to Shania who is MY AGE for heaven's sake!

What is Miss Crystal doing out here in the middle of the competition? Damn, Ryan draws attention to Shania's white teeth and Crystal doesn't even flinch. Although I do. She is singing NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW and she does a cute little falsetto and I really like it. She sounds a little Joni Mitchell-ish. I kind of like it because it is different from her usual thing. But I wonder if it is a little light for the competition. And I want to slap Kara. And Simon gets all shirty! I hope it won't hurt her chances...

L'il Aaron sings YOU GOT A WAY or some such crap like that. He once again sounds really good if you just don't look. I really do hope he will be a little Tiger Beat poster boy when he leaves IDOL. I don't think he is going to be here much longer. Randy uses the word "wheelhouse" twice in the same show losing all credit that he gets for using it in the first place. Aaron says he was singing the song to his mom which is sweet and also kind of icky. Simon even liked him.

Siobahn looking like her wacky little self is singing ANY MAN OF MINE. Shania sounds so darned Canadian when she is giving advice! She is my second favorite Canadian singer of all time! Siobahn is going home because she is not doing much and she is dragging behind the band a little. She get's her big ass note in there, but it is too little too late. I can't believe they ended with her. Now I love little Siobahn and her wacky glassblowing oxygen deficient brain. But I didn't like it and I can't believe the judges bought it. Bleh...

I think that Siobahn or Big Mike should go byesies. But what do I know?

Off to watch GLEE...

Brunie, OUT!

1 comment:

Lady Chardonnay said...

Robin Sparkles! Hee! Love it.

My favorite Canadian singer is Alan Thicke. "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have . . . the facts of life!" Dunno if he actually ever sang it, though.