Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teachable Moments

The first few weeks of Idol are quite painful. I watch them because I like to have someone to root for during the Hollywood show, even if it is someone who I have been programed to like because they used to be fat or made an album called "Jesus Loves Me" when they were four.

In addition to finding someone upon whom I can temporarily pin my hopes, these weeks serve a second purpose.

I use them to try to teach my children the difference between making fun of someone who is sad and delusional and someone who is clearly in on the joke.

Crazy eye make-up girl as opposed to chest-waxing princess Lea in bondage.
Princess Lea who thought she had a shot versus "stalker" guy.

I am ashamed for the show when they try to get laughs at the expense of people who are clearly already used to being the brunt of other people's mean spirited laughter. Bad show, bad...

I am just going to try to slog through until they start singing for real.

Here's hoping we get there quick!

Brunie

1 comment:

Lady Chardonnay said...

You are being such a good mom! And here's me, just laughing at the freaks. (That first guy, the one who lost all the weight? I said, "Well, who thinks HE's going to be any good?" and Mimosa said, "I hate him already.")

xox
Lady C