Thursday, February 09, 2006

"Colors" Is the New "Pitchy"

My new drinking game involves Paula and the word "colors." Won't you play with me?

Hollywood AT LAST! (The final audition rounds were so lackluster, I'm hard-pressed to remember a thing beyond George Clooney's doofy brother. I liked the girl with striped hair who sings to old people, who didn't make it, and I liked the girl who was singing to shame her bigoted grandmother, who did make it, and to me, they were virtually the same girl—very appealing, moderately talented. Once again, my future as an Idol judge appears . . .iffy.)

I love the Hollywood rounds. I especially love when we see who's fighting with their roommates, who's blowing off rehearsal to hang out with cute boys in the hot tub, who's having a hard time without their pharmaceuticals . . . yeah, sure, good singing is what it's all about, but there's plenty of time for that ahead; right now, it's all about Miss Behavior and Miss Management, and I eat it up with an ice cream spoon.

Is it just me, though, or did it all seem a bit rushed? I'm thinking there are fewer deep backgrounds this year; still, we learned a tiny bit about a few people, and for closure's sake I'd at least like to know if they made it through the first round. I caught a quick glimpse of one Corn Maze Sister, and I think she's through, but it looks like Fireman's Son got cut. And was that Cowboy Confidence (with the Australian accent) standing between Ladies Man and Sgt. Steven when they all got cut? He was my boy favorite, and we never even got to hear him sing! I also didn't see 41 Foster Homes or Pre-Teen Mom ("I'm 25 and my son is 16"—I'm thinking I heard that one wrong), though Granddaughter of Someone Famous and My Mom Is My Voice Teacher (whom TV Guide named as two to watch) both got through, as did the animatronic cowboy who sings to chickens, Sinatra in the Car Crooner, and Fishnetted Dental Assistant.

On my last nerve: the XL twins, who can't leave soon enough for me, and Laryngitis Girl; I have empathy for the impaired, until they tell me they're one of the "better" ones. Okay, on the Crazy Dave scale she barely rates, but still.

And where oh where is my new BFF Tyra Juliette? Would I even recognize her if she combed out her braid? Closure, people! Let's get some!

Lady Chardonnay OUT.

2 comments:

BrunhildeCrow said...

Well you're a better potential judge than me. I couldn't even work up enough enthusiasm to post. According to TWoP Tyra made it on to the next round. I plan to pay much better attention this week and even have opinions.

Anonymous said...

The XL twins are too hissy for me too. Was last night's episode taped before it was discovered that they are identity thieves? Will they get the boot tonight or next week because of it? The performances were very mundane last night. Even Paris, a definite finalist, was mediocre. Come on people! To paraphrase Simon, you're gonna look back in a few months and realize you blew you chance for success by doing some stupid comedy act.
AND how come most of these kids don't know the words to classic motown hits? How can you call yourself a singer and not know any songs??