Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Distracted By Shiny Objects...

Last year Lady Char wrote an awesome post about how she gets to a certain point where she can't bear to think that the contestants are being sent away so she pretends that they are just sick and aren't going to be able to sing the next week. ["Oh, Kevin must have an earache tonight..."] I couldn't post last week because it seemed like too much of a coincidence that Chris and Phil were both coming down with something. Get well soon, boys!

I have to say that last week was great and I adore Jon Bon Jovi. He is truly getting hotter with age. Barry Gibb? Not so much... I was not a big hair band girl in the '80s and kind of was on the old end of the Bon Jovi experience. But you can bet that I have a make-out memory for every song in the Brothers Gibb catalog!

Melinda opened with Love You Inside and Out. [In my family the lyrics went a little something like this: "Love you inside and out, I'm in the hamper with my butt hanging out..." It's a long story involving my little sister and the laundry chute.] She sounded fantastic as usual, but didn't do anything new or amazing.

Blake stepped up with You Should Be Dancing which was fine but a little beat boxy-annoying. Now I loved his version of whatever the hell he sang on Bon Jovi night, but I grow t-t-t-t-tired of his sh-sh-sh-sh-shtick.

Lakisha was up next with a slower smokier version of Staying Alive which I loved and the judges did not.

Jordan sang To Love Somebody and hit it out of the park. I hope that little girl is sincere, because I am kind of pulling for her.

Back to Mindy-doo, bringing it after the judges told her that she really needed to sell her second song. She covered How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and she was stellar. I just love her. I don't think it is entirely fair to grade on a curve and expect more of her each time when she is so clearly amazing.

The phrase "dead to me" quickly leaped to mind when Blake sang This is Where I Came In. But the desire to detest him was just too weak and I became sleepy just watch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ching him.

Kiki sang Run To Me and sounded beautiful and looked beautiful. But just as Mr. Crow seems to be over the awesome powers of her breasts [and believe me, when I told him it was BeeGees night he ran out of the room like monsters were chasing him], so did the judges seem to be over the awesome power of her magnificent voice. I hope she's not getting the flu!

Jordan closed up with Woman in Love which sounded great, but a little one dimensional. She is only 17 and I think that kind of shone through. And as much as I like the sort of stridently demanding lyrics of the song, it really needs almost a nagging quality to sell it.

Who will go home tonight? What are you talking about? I hear Blake wasn't vaccinated for chicken pox, though.

Brunie, OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for posting! A little piece of me is missing if I don't get to read your comments before the results show.

A fan in Huntertown!