Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Three songs and you're out!

Well, that was an interesting show. Let's recap, shall we?

All three kids sang three songs, one chosen by a judge, one by the Producers and one by the kids themselves.

Jordin: First she sang Rose Royce's "Wishing on a Star", which is a very lovely song and Jordin sang it well. I can't believe that she sang it so well having never heard it before. It is a real skill to be able to learn and sing a song under pressure in just a week. Kudos Jordin! Song two: I hate that Donna Summer song - it is her worst in my opinion. Jordin was only OK on that number. Lastly, she sang that I'm-the-only-one-to-love-you song - very beautiful voice - Jordin can really sing. I did sense a certain drop in energy from her last night, and who can blame them for getting tired at this point. She did well, but maybe not as well as I thought she could have/should have/would have. I have thought that Jordin could win it all, but after last night I am less sure.

Blake. Song one - Roxanne - love the song - just liked Blake's rendition. It was OK. Song two by Maroon 5 - excellent - a really perfect performance all around. Last song - very good again.
In order to do the Blake dance, you must stand facing front, then half turn your body and look behind your right shoulder as if someone behind you has just called to you - then move back facing front. Blake does this move at least 3 times in every song. The moon walky deal is much harder, so start with the Blake Take until you are ready for the advanced Blake-isms. He did extremely well last night. As an all-around performer, I think Blake is best.

Melinda. Melinda, Melinda. A glorious night for you, my dear. First, that crazy difficult Whitney song. I heard two tiny little notes that were not perfect, but other than that - genius! And her low-notes are just gorgeous! Song two - Nutbush City - FANTASTIC! I loved the moves she did with the microphone, and she really rocked it! (Although whenever I hear that song I remember the awful scene in What's Love Got To Do With It, in which Ike Turner rapes Tina while she tries to record this, the first song she ever wrote, in her home studio. Ike is jealous and goes nuts. Again.) Fry-the-bacon-up-in-a-pan song last - excellent. I did not care for the suit she wore, but damn, that girl can SING!

Melinda most deserves a place in the finals. Jordin is a better singer than Blake, but Blake is a better performer than Jordin. It should be a very interesting night tonight.

Love & kisses,
Mrs. Cynicletary

No comments: