Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Put another dime in the jukebox, baby!

('Cause I love rock 'n' roll!)

******************

I've been sitting here staring at my screen for three minutes.

Really, what is there to say? Everyone performed reasonably well, and if you like Bon Jovi, you had a great night of entertainment.

Phil sang great and looked great . . . unless you don't like Phil, because at this point, it's all pretty subjective. Is LaKisha a better singer than Jordin? Is Phil better than Blake? They're all competent—it really comes down to personal taste.

Lady C's Conspiracy Theory: I haven't been keeping close track, but hasn't Phil performed in the Forgettable First spot more than any of the others? And hasn't Melinda performed in the Final Remember Me spot more than the others? That's my impression.

Jordin looked great (sporting Mrs. Cynicletary's becoming spring uniform of cropped skinny pants, tunic, and heels) and struggled with the low notes. Hopefully, her popularity will carry her through. Then again, part of being a professional is playing to your strengths and minimizing your challenges, à la Blake, and maybe she should've dropped that song once even cute Jon raised his eyebrows.

Side note: Jon Bon Jovi was a pretty good coach, I thought. It would be nice to see more of his actual coaching, but his take on each singer was right on. And oh my is he pretty !

LaKisha looked great, sounded lovely on a boring song, and was fun and sassy. Last week I would've said that she was going home next; now I have no idea.

Blake, hmm. I'm not a song purist, per se, but it really irks me that the phrase "made it your own" is applied any time someone does anything different with a song, regardless of whether said tinkering improves it or not. On Motown Night, I hated what he did with "You Keep Me Hanging On"—a song of despair shouldn't be so flippin' jazzy!—and last night I thought all the beatbox stuff, while skillful, had nothing to do with the song! He was my second-least favorite of the night.

And who was your least favorite, Lady C? That would be Tinny McNasal, back in full flower, who was even reedier than usual. (Unless you love him, in which case I'm sure he sounded fine.) His "Dead or Alive" couldn't even hold a candle to Daughtry's, let alone the original. I will be SO happy to bid him adieu. I will be SO SO SO happy if I can do so this evening!

Bringing it all home was Melinda, whom I've admired without fulling warming up to before now, but last night she blew my mind. Is there nothing the woman can't do? She is amazing.

I voted like a crazy person for Jordin and Phil, then decided that it would be hypocritical not to vote for the best performance as well, so I voted for Melinda too, and I just hope that I didn't shoot my favorites in the foot.

Going home? I've got my fingers crossed that it will be Chris and Blake, but I suspect it will be Chris and Phil. Sigh.

Lady Chardonnay (today's look: Flashdance Hits the Suburbs) OUT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tinny McNasal! HA! I am hoping right along with you...

Dave said...

This season, Phil has been first 3 times: this week, two weeks ago (when Sanjaya got whacked) and back for the Top 10 guys. Phil has gone last once (the first week of voting).

Melinda has gone first once and has gone last three times.

All of the others have gone first at least once, (Blake twice). Blake has gone last once and that was the week he was in the bottom 3. Lakisha has gotten the Pimp Spot twice, Chris once, and Jordin twice.

This year, going first has not been the kiss of death it has been in the past and going last has been fairly safe as usual.