Thursday, January 29, 2009

"You can't judge people by the cover of the book"

So true, Not Goth Girl. Except that sometimes you can.

Well, last week we clearly had Obama Fever, but I'm back to a cool 98.6 now and ready to re-assume my blogging duties. As for my sister bloggers—still sleeping it off, I expect.

Not much to say about last week, except that I very much liked the object of our final sob story, Ms. Thuggish Ways and her mega-watt smile. And I seem to recall a fellow who resembled our David Cook, only younger and sleepier, and I liked him too.

All of it pales in the glow of Obama, though, and that's that.

Moving on!

On Tuesday, I thoroughly enjoyed Joshua, who sang (and played) "Let's Get It On." I'm so glad the judges got the joke and sent him through. He's fun. And I liked Anne Marie, the girl they sent out for more make-up (?? what was their problem with her?).

Other "winners" had less appeal, particularly 16-year-old Jasmine, who sings straight through her nose, and Miss Teen Latina Something, whose singing voice is surprisingly un-awful but is nonetheless as grating as all giddy-up.

Sharon (Girl with Dog) I found bemusing, as she sang the words of "Superstar" to a completely different tune.

And then there was George Ramirez, that stone-faced wonder: "Where do you see yourself in 10 years, George?" [pause] "In a simple house, with nice floors . . . . . . marble floors." How can you not love this guy? Oh, but then he sang, and it was all over. Bye, George. (Hold on to your dream, guy!)

And on to Salt Lake City, where much to my joy we're immediately greeted with an Osmond. And not just any Osmond, but THE SON OF ALAN, Alan being my personal favorite Osmond, next to Marie, who was my idol, "Paper Roses" was my first album, oh, how I adored Marie. But I digress.

Son of Alan is an adorable boy and sings adorably and I'm simply dying of all the adorableness, except for the sad non-adorableness of Alan, my former love. MS is a terrible disease and I hate it, and not only because of its adorableness-stripping nature. Son of Alan inspires an insightful comment from Paula, even! Son of Alan is magic.

Three girls perform, who are very different from one another and yet have similar "raggedy" tones to their voices: Frankie (like her a lot), Megan with the tattooed arm (she's not for all tastes and I actually hate her voice, but I like her and can see that she's talented), and Rose, tonight's sob story, who is cute as a button and talented to boot. I like all these girls, they're interesting.

So, one more night of auditions (curious, that—auditions on a Thursday? my viewing rhythm is all off kilter!) and then Hollywood, baby! Color me excited. And the doo-wop foursomes are back!! I cannot wait.

Lady Chardonnay OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the first songs I ever downloaded from iTunes was "Paper Roses" by our girl Marie. It would make an EXCELLENT karaoke tune, don't ya think?

My first album was by "At Home with the Partridge Family" and my first single was "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree." In case you didn't already know these facts!

Hugs!
Lady Darcy