Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Master Class/ Minor Entertainment

I am in the minority, I guess. I was bored out of my tree last night. I knew Lacy C. would be thrilled as thrilled could be at the theme, but I though surely Mrs. C would live up to her name. Alas...

[I should admit that I was cutting little pieces of paper all night for school so I didn't so much watch as just looked up to see how they were dressed and then went back to cutting. More on that later.]

I can barely remember what went on, but I will try to give my impressions.

I thought Blake was fine on MACK THE KNIFE. What a dull song.

Phil sounded good on whatever the hell he sang.

Melinda sounded beautiful, as usual. No surprise. (How jaded I have become! But remember W-O-M-A-N? Damn...)

Chris was fine. Heh.

I did love Jordyn. She is my new fave. This means she should be going home soon.

And Gina sounded fantastic, too. I have really grown to like her voice a lot. And her hair was cute as a bug.

Sanjaya was a train wreck. My friend Honest Liz was telling me about this:
The House of Sanjaya
We spent the entire day at work walking by each other and whispering "Sanjaya!" just like in the clip.

When they did the tease (unfortunate choice of words) for Haley and I caught a glimpse of how short her dress was I quipped, "Up next: Haley Scarnato and her crotch!" and at the same time Crow, Jr said, "She is on crutches?" and Mr Crow said, "Nelly Furtado?" I laughed and laughed. [Who knew Mr. Crow had even heard of Nelly Furtado? And apparently Jr. is the only 8th grade boy on the planet not obsessed with the wonder of Haley's area.] So I went in laughing. And while I wasn't crying when it was over, I wasn't smiling. I did love the way that Tony Bennet yelled at her for misunderstanding the point of the song. "I'm Tony-effing-Bennett and I will tell you how to sing the song!" I am kidding, I love Tony Bennett, but I was amused at how everyone except for Phil completely disregarded his advice.

Lakeshia was fantastic and she looked beautiful and yet I remained unmoved. I think it may have been the cutting.

So here is the thing. I don't think that these songs feel genuine on this show. Or the kids don't really mean them. I really think that Gina and Jordyn were the only two who seemed sincere when singing. Or I could just be cranky. I noticed that the phrase "master class in singing" was used twice. It just seems so pretentious. Like the writers just learned the phrase and told everyone to sprinkle it through their conversations. Oh well, I hear that Jennifer Lopez is going to be the next guest teacher. A master class in irritating Brunie?

Brunie - grumpy, no fun and looking forwards to saying bye-bye to Haley - OUT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PMS, maybe?

BrunhildeCrow said...

Who have you been talking too???

Anonymous said...

What a witty and fantastically written column brunhildecrow. !! Sanjaya must be shot. And if I were anyone on the show I would prob. want to shoot him. I'm so glad I didn't audition as I would have been in the top 25.