Thursday, February 21, 2008

"The best Top 24 in Idol history"

(R. Seacrest, 2-21-08, 8:01 p.m.)

Okay, relentless pimping aside, I will agree that there are far fewer obvious weak links than there usually are at this stage. The "weakest" girl, in my opinion, was Amy Davis, who sang "Where the Boys Are" in a perfectly pretty voice. If she's the weakest girl, the girls are doin' all right. The boys' weakest link, I think, is young Garrett Haley (Peter Frampton's son), who also has a nice voice; I think he's just a little too young and unformed, musically, to compete with the others. (Chikezie did not have a great night, but I've heard him sing before, and I think he is really good. I hope he gets another chance. But, word to the wise: If you're going to mouth off to Simon, you have to be really, really good at it. Learn from the sad tale of Chris Sligh, Cheez Man.)

I had this little realization today about Jason Castro (Mr. Dreadlocks). We're seeing him, basically, for the first time, so last night it was all "Who's this guy?" and "What's with the hair?" and "Okay, he sounds all right." Then came the judges' tongue bath, and I almost fell over. He wasn't bad, not at all, but he wasn't GREAT, I don't think. But then I realized: They're not seeing him for the first time, they've known him for weeks and months, and every time he performs they're seeing everything he's ever done and the personality they've come to love in addition to what he's doing right at that moment. Which is what we all do. It would be nice if we could know each person in the Top 24 at that level, and maybe one day the show will give us this opportunity. But until that happy day comes, the people we know the least are still the first ones we vote off, almost without exception.

Going home tonight:
Garrett
Colton (Ellen) or Jason (hair streak & son)
Amy
Alaina or Kady or Kristy Lee (interchangeable blonde girls)—and I hope it's Alaina, even though it's her birthday. Actually, I don't care if it's Kristy Lee, though I feel bad about her horse; I just don't want it to be Kady

Mrs C, Luke is all kinds of pretty, but I don't see my spiritual husband Hugh Jackman, per se. Of course, being my husband and all, I know his face intimately. Luke can dream . . .

Lady C OUT!

1 comment:

BrunhildeCrow said...

I can't believe that it was my plus size girl! True, not her best performance, but the blondes are so interchangable!! Why have 3?? And what is with the double punctuation?!?!