Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Girls and the Mamas

We watched at Joe Mama’s house (if you remember, he is Wilbur’s best friend and his parents are a HOOT!) and once again, there were snacks and letting the dog chase the children during commercials. It is a fun party atmosphere in which to watch, but as a result I can’t type as I view which makes it hard to go into detail.

So once again, TiVo is saving my bacon and allowing me to watch the end roundup to see if I can remember the performances.

Carly Smithson opened with CRAZY ON YOU which she was pretty much born to sing. She likes to cook and clean and there is a little switch on the back of her neck that her hubby presses each night before he puts her back in her carrying case. Which was my problem with her performance. She can sing beautifully, no doubt, but she doesn’t connect with the audience, or at least me. I think she might be a good terminator sent from the future to protect John Connor. With music.

Syesha Mercado on the other hand sparkled like crazy singing ME AND MR. JONES which sounded great and I loved it. Her big secret is that she has made local commercials. The line they showed her saying was hilarious and I am sure it will be on youtube so that I can memorize it and make my children crazy. Simon made his usual incredibly stupid remark about it not being written for a girl. Guess what Simon, half of the audience has never heard this song because they are 10. If I were a voting girl, I would have called for her.

Brooke White sang YOU'RE SO VAIN. Her secret is that she went to beauty school. She sounded good and she wasn’t looking at Simon so much, but it was funny that she kind of did. I like her more than I thought I would. See how vague these opinions are? Dang you Mamas and your hospitality!

Ramiele Malubay (former dancer) sang DON’T LEAVE ME THIS WAY and sounded fine, although I hate her hair. I like her personality. I can’t remember why, but I am hoping she sticks around.

Kristy Lee Cook and her boobs sang YOU’RE NO GOOD. I enjoyed her performance a lot (and Mr. Mama and young Fred, who is entirely too adolescent for his own good, enjoyed her top) and I am glad that last week’s problems were sickness related and that she can sing more than Amazing Grace. She is a tomboy and likes to get dirty. Do not even get me started on the response that comment received from the peanut gallery.

Amanda Overmeyer tried to change things up much to her detriment with CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON. She does not have a good voice for melodies. Which sounded crazy to me when Randy said it, but is entirely true. So I guess we should just get used to her sounding like Janis forever. That being said – she is a reader! How can I not love her? I hope she stays and stays and maybe she can teach some of the other idols to read!

Alaina Whitaker sang HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU and sounded fine. She is cute as a bug, but I find her so uninteresting that it took me ages to remember that she doesn’t like her food to touch. Really. That is the most fascinating secret she has.

Alexandrea Lushington sang IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW and if memory serves she was told it was too safe a choice. So I guess sounding awesome isn’t enough. Bah. I really like her she was my second favorite after Syesha. And her dad is an extremely good looking firefighter and as a result she once sand at ground zero. (And her outfit was loathed by the Crow/Mamas.)

Kady Malloy, it was good to know you. She did more damage to MAGIC MAN than Rissa Gietz and I did when we accidentally on purpose scratched up her brothers Heart album when we were 11. But she sings opera and seems to have pipes, so maybe it is all for the best that she is almost certainly going home tonight.

Asia’h Epperson sang ALL BY MYSELF which I could have sworn was by Eric Carmen (stolen from Rachmaninoff) but apparently is “owned” by Celine Dion. If ever there was a reason to go to war with Canada… (I am joking! I love Canada. My sister and her husband might be moving to British Columbia and I am so excited I could spit! But I do loathe Celine Dion on principle.) She sounded good but hilariously the judges who chided several contestants for “safe” choices, told brave Asia’h that she shouldn’t have attempted this musical Everest. Oh the irony! Or the hypocrisy. I can’t tell which.

So her is hoping that it is Kady and Alaina or Carly (yeah, right) going home. But I don’t think Syesha, Kristy Lee or Amanda are entirely safe either! Quite the horserace!

Brunie, OUT!

2 comments:

kristine said...

Whatever . . . definitely a male year. I do not think you can keep telling people they are among the top 3 - I am sure at least one person on that stage took math in High School.

Lady Chardonnay said...

An important learning: SWALLOW Chardonnay before reading Kristine's comments. Otherwise, a waste.

xox

Lady C, not wasting, not wasted, always ready to absorb the knowledge