Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"It left me confused, and sort of happy"


(Quoth Kara, re: Adam's crazy-ass performance)

I . . . am somewhat at a loss. Maybe Country Night is just not for me? But on the whole . . . tonight was way less fun than last week. And I was SO looking forward to watching in real time with my kids!

There were bright spots, for sure. But I found myself looking at the clock. A LOT.

My favorites, Allison and Adam, were (respectively) a little dull and a little weird (though I laughed hysterically through Adam's entire song. Wherever did he find that version? It was definitely . . . entertaining). Danny was also a little dull.

While I thought Lil was magnificent, that opinion was shared only by my brain twin tonight, Miss Paula. But then Paula lost me when she became absurdly prickly and defensive in response to Simon's UNMITIGATED ASSYNESS, not that she wasn't well within her rights, but still. Someone has to be the grown-up.

(And Simon looks like a bum in his sloppy, ill-fitting T-shirt. What is wrong with him?)

And then there were the pee-fests that left me totally baffled. I agree that it was Kris Allen's best performance (and he was much less Fabian-y without the guitar). And Anoop was fine, and Matt was fine (except he sounds to me like he has a pretend voice). But—best in show? Baffling.

Megan Joy was actively bad, I thought, singing a plaintive song with a big ol' cocky grin, but I'll cut her some slack for illness. However, if America is less compassionate and forgiving than moi, I will not hold a grudge.

Going home, then, I think is either Megan Joy or Alexis, who also had a weak-ish night, once again forcing her lyrics too much. But it could also be Michael, who might get lost in the sea of strong boys (though I enjoyed his toe-tapping performance—he looked like he was having a great time). We shall see.

Fingers crossed that next week is Girl Groups (how many guys sang Carrie or Martina tonight?!) or something else I'll find more palatable . . . !

Lady Chardonnay, tired and OUT.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, I don't think Simon's shirt was clean. What did he go for a run and muck the stalls wearing that thing? Yuck. I think my favorite quote of the night was Kara's- It' left me confused and sort of happy. But happy about what? I was totally freaked out and couldn't stop 'ewing' about Adam's terrible performance. Poor Johnny Cash- rolling around in his grave must really hurt. Do you think he thought he was sexy? There's something to be said about being an individual and adding your own take to the songs, but not like that. My reactions went from high (when he announced he was choosing 'Ring of Fire' I actually said that he was going to kill it- in a good way) to terrified (like I said, I couldn't stop hiding my face behind my hands and peeking out from between my bewildered fingers. My love of the night was the girl who was sick with the flu- amazing. Keep writing women- I love reading.