Thursday, May 25, 2006

It started like...and then...

When last night's two hour extravaganza began, and the first few numbers were sung, I was thinking, is this a Mormon compound or something? All the young girls were paired with really old guys, and the young guys were in a separate group with each other. Paris was OK with the 100 year old Al Jarreau, but then I feared for Kat's safety when she sang with the very scary looking Meatloaf. Don't get too close Kat - he'll eat you! Or sweat on you! Don't know what's worse! Burt Bacharach wrote a lot of songs, some of them good, but again, what's with the 100 year old guys. (And the 500 year old Dionne Warwick - love her but she cannot hit the high notes anymore.) Were they trying to make Taylor seem younger?

I cannot explain Toni Braxton. She seemed to be on Paula meds. And though she looked great, she really could have changed out of her pajamas for the show. And how scared of her was Taylor?? Maybe Taylor is gay because when she tried to snuggle up against him he ran the other way. And she didn't sing anything audible. That "duo" was really weird.

Then came the ghastly High School musical numbers with all the kids and their lame choreography. Chris just should not sing any Fleetwood Mac songs - it is painful. But his song with LIVE was excellent. He's a better lead singer than the one they have! God, I miss him. It was very nice to see all the kids singing, even though, as I say, it looked like a High School musical a lot of the time.

So, the end of the show neared and I was like, well that was kind of fun and kind of really strange, and then...AND THEN...IT BECAME THE GREATEST AMERICAN IDOL SHOW IN ALL OF HISTORY!!!!! PRINCE?! PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE PRINCE! Oh my god. He is the coolest, baddest, motherfucker ever. Every other performer looks like a rank amateur with no stage presence, talent or charisma compared to him. Nothing compares to you, you might say, like the lyrics of the song he wrote which was popularized by Sinead O'Connor. And although he is pushing 50 he looks EXACTLY THE SAME as he did 30 years ago. Man, he is the greatest and I sat there glued to my TV with my mouth hanging open. I told my husband that if I ever get in a room alone with Prince I am temporarily single. Delicious! Delirious! Prince is my Idol.

Oh, and Taylor won the show.

No comments: