Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Play That Dreadfully Boring Music White Boys

I must admit that I did enjoy the spectacle of Taylor having full body seizures while growling Wild Cherry. (Was it Wild Cherry? Do I remember that and not my own children's names??) But I seem to be alone in that.

But last night, my heart belonged to the girls. I am with Mrs.C in that I liked Kat's second song "There Is a Cow or a Beaver or a Wallaby Up in the Apricot Tree" and the way she danced as if she only had half a pair of legs. It was weird, weird, weird and I loved it. I also enjoyed the look of gob-smacked confusion on the face of Lady C as she watched it. That look that was ever so present during every song I enjoyed last night! It was a pleasure to watch with Lady C - a nearly unprecidented event - but we have VERY different opinions of what is "good". I could take or leave "Against All Odds". It sounded fine to me. I didn't notice her voice sounded too bad.

I also adored Paris. And I liked "Kiss" a lot. I thought she sounded swell and I liked her pouty little face and her stompy dance and her wonderfulness. I have not even the slightest knowledge of Mary J Blige except that her last name is not pronounced "Bilge" and high school students will laugh at you if you say it that way. But I thought Miss P's voice sounded great.

Elliot was once again perfectly lovely sounding and as dull as kissing your auntie. Both times.

Chris was fine singing the ode to getting caught doing something naughty. And his newfangled screaming song was powerfully sung as well. And yet, I remained unmoved.

I already mentioned that I enjoyed Taylor's first song. Although if we were going with his real age he would have been singing "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me" or "In the Mood" or "Pennsylvania6-5000". (Or as my husband, the lister of all things called it "Transylvania six five oh oh oh".) However he sounded nice on "Something". How is that on the charts? I am assuming it is because I believe everything that happens on IDOL. And yet... The thing about Taylor is that he is not sexy AT ALL! I am pretty easy about who I find sexy. There are three guys in my church who are well into their 80s and yet I think they are kind of hot. So it is not a grey haired thing. I just think he has NO sex appeal. Lady C said she used to want to have you-know-what with him. (Of course, you know how she is...) But I think - ew...

So, if you read this, please respond with your opinion:
Is Taylor sexy (or has he at any time in this contest appeared to be sexy) or do you think he is kind of like a Ken doll? A twitchy, hooting, clapping Ken doll. Give specific examples (as Lady C. could not) of times when he did have appeal.

I will be crying tonight when they send sweet little Paris home tonight. (And so I avoid both the evil eye and the boogeyman of P. going home with that sentence.)

Brunie, OUT~!

1 comment:

CindyinSC said...

Taylor is sexy. Taylor is hot. Can't explain it, but I dig him. Maybe it's the way he can't stay still, maybe it's the Elvis-the-Pelvis moves, maybe it's the soulful voice. I have been saying all season that Taylor is Elvis reincarnated and I just read that next week is ELVIS week. I just died and went to heaven. Every week I say, "I wish Taylor would sing an Elvis song." My wish came true!! Must have been that make-a-wish email I got yesterday. Anyway, I'm psyched!! (I also think that Chris looks like Brad Pitt without hair and that Elliott looks like Andy Williams.)
I think Kat is gorgeous and loved her second number as much as I loved Taylor throwing himself on the floor on the "till ya die" line of his song. That's another thing - Taylor is sexy because he is so unabashedly uninhibited.