Thursday, March 23, 2006

Kevin Must Have Earache Tonight . . .

Ah, well. A sweet boy with a perfectly nice voice, but out of his league, big time. As are the less-versatile Bucky and Lisa, both of whom I now like very much. But this year, you really see the difference that age and experience can make, don't you? When Mandisa or Taylor or Chris are up there on stage, in addition to their mondo talent, they also communicate a sense of gravitas. They're singing their lives with their words, and the younger kids just can't compete with that. Except for our other teenager, the "good Paris," who is clearly an old soul.

After Bucky and Lisa, I would think that the pretty-but-limited Ace would go next. But I'm out of the prediction biz now; I spent a lovely winey lunch hour yesterday explaining to Mrs. Cynicletary that Kevin is the John Stevens of our day (our day being: 2006) and will be around longer than either she or I can imagine. I have the prediction ability of a yam.

And speaking of yams (i.e.: sweet, wholesome things), there's Kellie. I like Kellie-the-girl, always have, though a little of her goes a long way. I hate feeling her shoved down my throat. (I'm generally busy drinking; get out of my throat, Pickler.) And Simon's comment that he prefers her to last year's winner = what the heck? But I must admit, because I am all about accuracy: She is getting better. She's benefiting from the vocal training and improving her game. Her rendition of "Walkin' After Midnight" was really good, and I don't say that lightly, I LOVE me some Patsy Cline. (and how could Barry not know that song?!)

Hey, speaking of Barry (all my roads do seem to lead there, don't they): Yeah, I'll never go out on a limb defending his looks. At my parents' house, he's held the title of Rat Face since I fell in love with him at age 15. I once gave my mom a coffee mug for Christmas in the shape of a mouse (mice are "her" animal); she opened it, and Dad cried, "Look! A Barry Manilow mug!" That thing still exists today, next to the sink, holding an SOS pad, and is still called The Barry Manilow Mug.

So—not a looker. On so many levels. But that music! that voice! that showmanship! Color me squarely out on that particular limb.

Lady C, still in love almost three decades later, and OUT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that Kevin gave a better than usual performance this week, perhaps better than some of his fellow contestants even. But it's a relief to see him go all the same. As you said, definitely out of his depth.

Kate S.

PS. I love the story of the Barry Manilow mug. It sounds like your wit may be genetic!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that Lisa, Bucky and Ace will go over the next three weeks, but the rest is a crap shoot.

As to Kellie, I read an interesting article about her on "Vote for the Worst"...basically it said that a lot of the "aw shucks" is an act, and that Kellie is a VERY experienced pageant type. I do love me some Clyde, though!