Thursday, March 15, 2007

With Deepest Sympathy

Please check out the heartfelt sentiments of the card that my friend Mademoiselle Vin Rouge sent after last night's shocking dismissal. It seems to be affecting no one as deeply as it is affecting me.

Before I dive into my personal pain I would like to thank M'me Vin Rouge, Frau Riesling, Millie Light and the Professor and MaryAnn (backwards) who brought food rather than hooch to the Idol viewing soiree I had Tuesday evening. We drank, ate delicious food (that was fortuitously prepared by people who are not me) and massacred some classic songs on PS2 AI Karaoke Revolution. And Mr. Crow cleaned the house in preparation! A fine time was had by all. (Except Mr. Crow because he cleaned and had some cake but still hates Idol with the passionate intensity of a thousand burning suns. I may be joining him...)

I liked Lady Char's surprises and I essentially share her thoughts. Except for Phil - he still did very little for me. And I kind of liked Chris (not the Sligh). He didn't sound that great, but he was peppy. And hell, we know this is no stinking singing competition. And I didn't think Brandon was that bad. He was weaker than usual, but he is the only cute boy singer, dammit! Sanjaya still stinks, Blake still has he finger on the pulse of a wild, sexy happening generation and I am finished with the boys. They are all dead to me.

The girls were once again so far superior that they really shouldn't sit near the boys. Lakeshia and Melinda were spectacular. Jordan and Stephanie sounded wonderful as usual. I have to say that I preferred Lakeshia and Stephanie solely on the basis of knowing their songs. Hey, I am just as stupid as the rest of America!

My Surprises were Gina and Haley. I don't think either of them has a snowball's chance but they charmed me this week. Gina looked cute and strutty in her mysteriously shiny gray pants. She sounded good, she looked fantastic. The song is dull as dirt and shouldn't really be sung by anyone not willing to wear chiffon and a bouffant - but I didn't feel the bile rising in my throat so yay Gina.

And Haley completely charmed me. I was not surprised that she wasn't in the bottom three. She sounded better than ever. [In the interest of full disclosure, "Missing You" is my favorite Diana Ross song - Sanjaya could have sung it and I would have smiled dreamily into space remembering my sweet Long Island girlhood in the '80s, when big hair was big hair and we weren't entirely sure that disco was dead.] And her little collapse at the end and her heartfelt plea of "Okay, Simon said something nice, please send me home now..." went unheeded by the voters. Your own fault for being awesome this week, Haley. Because she was. Except for the unforgivable word forgetting. I have always been more forgiving than most.

But if Sanjaya is still here next week, my wrath will be great.

Brunie, OUT!

No comments: